What is the dminder app?
- Dminder is an app that tracks the amount of Vitamin D you get from the sun, so you can increase your vitamin D levels naturally. You can find more information about it here: https://dminder.ontometrics.com/.
Why does Vitamin D matter?
- Vitamin D is perhaps the most important fat-soluble vitamin of the body because it also acts as a hormone. It is responsible for the regulation of calcium homestasis and cell line differentiation. The risks of Vitamin D deficieny range from osteoporosis, decreased immune function, bone pain, diabetes, heart disease, and depression, while the benefits range from improved cardiovascular health to better immune function and cancer prevention.
What is the optimal blood level?
- While the standard lab reference range lists 30 or lower as deficient, optimal vitamin D levels are between 60-100. Be sure to work with your health care provider to regularly test your Vitamin 25(OH) levels to see if supplementing and/or getting outside in the sun is sufficient.
Do I need to supplement Vitamin D3 if I spend a lot of time in the sun?
- It depends. For example it will depend on where you live in relation to the equator, your skin tone, the amount of clothing you wear, and your ability to produce Vitamin D from sun exposure. Your blood levels will ultimately determine if/how much you need to supplement.
What is the best form to supplement?
- Vitamin D3 is the most potent and preferred form to supplement. We often supplement between 2,000-5,000 IU daily depending on your blood levels and the amount of time you spend in the sun. Supplementing is especially important in the wintertime if you live in a cold climate and spend less time outdoors.
Did you know people on statins are often deficent in vitamin D because Vitamin D is made cholesterol?
- It's true. If you are on a statin such as Lipitor, be sure to work with your provider to make sure you are maintaining the right vitamin D levels in your body.